Erectile dysfunction is the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough for sexual activity. Many men both young and old suffer from this condition but are too embarrassed to seek help.
Here are some things you need to know about erectile dysfunction:
1. It is not the same thing as premature ejaculation: In premature ejaculation the person usually has no difficulty getting an erection, the problem here is that he ejaculates sooner than he or his partner would want.
2. Excessive alcohol rather than excessive sugar intake is more likely to cause it: Some studies have shown that excessive alcohol intake may have a negative impact on erectile function, however, there are currently no studies to prove that erectile dysfunction is caused by excessive sugar intake.
3. Any issues bothering the mind could lead to erectile dysfunction: These category of issues are called psychological issues and may include stress, depression and anxiety or fear of failure in bed. Your mindset plays an important role in achieving an erection therefore, any disturbance with it can lead to difficulty in achieving or maintaining an erection.
4. Physical factors play a role in its cause: Conditions such as Diabetes, hypertension, Obesity and heart disease could lead to erectile dysfunction.
5. It could happen as a side effect of taking certain drugs: Some drugs used to treat hypertension or depression and some pain killers cause erectile dysfunction as a side effect.
6. It can be treated: The treatment will depend on the cause, normal erectile function is usually restored once the cause has been identified and taken care of. Psychological issues will need to be sorted out, people who are unable to sort this out by themselves may need counselling. For physical causes, the underlying condition causing it is treated with appropriate methods.
7. There are various treatment options available: There are drugs that can be prescribed to aid erectile function. Other interventions such as penile implants and penis pumps can be used. Surgery is also available as a form of treatment.
8. Having a supportive partner helps: Having a partner that supports you and understands what you’re going through will go a long way in helping to deal with the condition.
Erectile dysfunction is a treatable condition, seek help today if you’re currently battling with it.