In the spirit of healthy snacking, and also because I’ve finally found amazing Greek yogurt at some health store on the Island in Lagos, I’ll share 3 of my favorite Greek yogurt “snacks”.
Before we go into recipes, let’s talk benefits.
• Probiotics – Greek yogurt contains Probiotics, healthy bacteria known to promote a healthy digestive system. It helps with food digestion, as well as maintaining the balance between good and bad bacteria in your colon.
• Protein – It’s a great source of protein, and has more protein than regular yogurt. For the average Nigerian diet lacking in protein, Greek yogurt provides a delicious way to get more protein in.
• Nutrient Powerhouse – Greek yogurt is a great source of calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, and magnesium. While multivitamins/supplements are helpful, nutrients are better absorbed when eaten. So why not get as much of the nutrients in their natural form, and supplement if necessary.
• Lactose Intolerance – From a person who is severely lactose intolerant, Greek yogurt is much lighter on my digestive system than regular yogurt. This is as a result of the way it’s produced, resulting in a lower amount of lactose than regular yogurt.
• Less Carbohydrates – For those searching for a moderate carbohydrate diet, Greek yogurt fits right in. It has less carbs than regular yogurt, and as previously mentioned, is a good source of protein.
Now to the yumminess – recipes! Well, I guess you’ll have to come back next week for the recipes of my 3 favorite Greek yogurt snacks!