Cervical cancer is cancer affecting the cervix (the entrance to the womb and connection between the lower part of the womb and vagina).
It is one of the commonest types of cancers affecting black women. Here are 5 common symptoms of cervical cancer you must watch out for:
1. Vaginal bleeding: which occurs after intercourse, between your periods or after menopause. This may be one of the first signs of cervical cancer. Bleeding after intercourse is usually called contact bleeding and occurs as a result of contact with abnormal cells of the cervix resulting in bleeding.
2. Abnormal vaginal discharge: Which may be foul smelling, watery, heavy or bloody is another common symptom of cervical cancer although this is also a symptom of certain sexually transmitted infections.
3. Pain during sexual intercourse: Pain and discomfort during sexual intercourse could be a sign of cervical cancer although other medical conditions such as Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) could also result in this symptom.
4. Unintentional weight loss: This is a common symptom in all advanced stage cancers and cervical cancer is no exception.
5. Blood in the urine and loss of bladder control: These are also signs of advanced stage cervical cancer but could also be symptoms of medical conditions like Kidney disease or vaginal prolapse.
Other symptoms of advanced stage cervical cancer include:
– Pain in the bones
-severe flank (back) pain caused by hydronephrosis (swelling of kidneys)
If you notice any of the above symptoms, kindly visit a standard hospital to be examined by a doctor.