Breakfast is the first meal of the day. It is the meal taken in the morning before the day’s activity. Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day, and nutritionists recommend eating breakfast within two hours after waking. While a number of people are aware of the importance of eating breakfast, they nevertheless skip it.
Reasons for skipping breakfast range from not enjoying eating too early, feeling sleepy afterwards, not having time to prepare meals so early in the morning, to the body not tolerating food in the early hours of the day. If you have been skipping breakfast, you are missing out on a lot of benefits.
Preparing breakfast should not be tedious as long as you plan ahead and you prepare a very simple meal. You should avoid consuming cereals frequently as breakfast because they do not provide enough nutrients that your body needs. They also contain a lot of sugar, additives and some other substances that are not healthy for you.
These are some of the amazing benefits of eating breakfast:
- It kick-starts the body’s metabolism, helping you burn calories in the course of the day. If you’re planning to lose weight, ensure you never skip breakfast
- Breakfast provides your body and brain with the fuel it needs to carry on through the day
- It lowers the level of bad cholesterol in the body
- Breakfast ensures that your body gets all the essential nutrients it needs. Once breakfast is missed, compensating for these missed nutrients in the course of the day is less likely
- Breakfast reduces your risk of being over-weight
- Breakfast restores the level of glucose in the body which in turn improves brain functioning. In the morning, the blood sugar the body needs to make the brain and muscles function is usually very low. Breakfast thus helps to replenish it
- It improves memory and concentration
- It improves mood and lowers stress levels
Eating breakfast also has long-term health benefits. It prevents diabetes, high blood pressure and heart attack. Do not postpone your meal to later in the day. What it does is to zap your body of the energy it needs and exposes you to over-eating and consuming unhealthy foods. Maybe you keep wondering why you are gaining weight despite not eating too much, or your waist line keeps expanding despite eating little, skipping breakfast might just be responsible.