In an earlier article, we discussed some reasons why cancers are caught late. Here we present you with five more reasons ranging from medical to psychological to social. Let’s get right to it shall we?…
1. Pancreatic Cancers are rarely found operable unless they invade the bile duct. Upper abdominal pain and discomfort related to meals are some of the earliest warning symptoms. Often missed and attributed to peptic ulcers. By the time the structure, which carries the greenish bile has been invaded, the eyes turn yellow, vomiting starts and a hard mass can be felt by mere hands it’s often not long before they’re walking on the other side and singing with the angels.
2. Thyroid Cancer often the earliest symptom is hoarseness in the voice. Other features of low thyroid hormone levels include weakness, constipation, menstrual irregularities, cold intolerance and cold skin. I could easily list several conditions that could explain away these symptoms. Interestingly, of the four sub types only one is associated with radiation to the neck. If found late, the mass is already making swallowing a nightmare and literally choking the breath out of their wind pipes. Imagine Goliath’s hands around your throat…not a reassuring picture.
3. Lung cancer: For those of you who thought only primary or secondary smokers got lung cancer, I’m so sorry to burst your bubble. That’s a major reason why some people miss it because it’s so unexpected, so unwelcome, that whether they’re dreaming or not is still an undecided question. Asides from cough, breathlessness, coughing out blood and weight loss. Lung Cancers produce several susbtances, depending on the type and these substances, which would normally lead an oncologist to the tumour, tend to lead others away from it. Symptoms ranging from water retention to hypertension, stretch marks and ulcers to excess blood calcium to muscle weakness to altered consciousness levels and even to a positive pregnancy test. Yes. It can get that weird.
4. Breast cancer: The lumps of breast cancer are often painless…at the beginning and that’s a major reason why some people fail to detect them early. For others it’s the inability to differentiate normal breast tissue from abnormal tissue while doing self examination. Some assume that the lump will disappear like other lumps before it and in some sad cases, the problem is that the tumour cells have the ability to bypass the conventional pathway and spread directly to the bones of the back via the blood stream. This just makes it so sad that a tumour, which would ordinarily still be confined to the breast has already spread to the bones. Words cannot express how one feels about that so I’ll just go on to the last reason.
5. A cohort of wrong advisers: In my humble assessment, this reason accounts for a significant majority of late hospital presentation of cancer cases. Some get diagnosed early and then get enticed to pursue certain wonder treatment options and only return for medical care when a Stage 1 disease has become stage 3 or 4. I strongly recommend that people ask their friends and family for empirical evidence of complete resolution of disease in a person that they know PERSONALLY before acquiescing to their demands to abandon orthodox medical treatment.
In closing, being non specific , the symptoms are often overlooked in a patient with an early stage cancer leading to discovery at a much later stage, when the cancer is metastatic (has spread to other organs far and near).
With newer treatment options and newer drugs, it is possible to treat, extend and improve quality of life even at a later stage.
If you have a loved one suffering the above symptoms with fatigue and weight loss, kindly get in touch. We would love to direct you aright and offer expert advice.